Thornybush Game Lodge
The Ultimate in Exclusivity
- Grading: 5 Star
Address: Thornybush Private Game Reserve, Limpopo Province
Children: Children of all ages are welcome
Bed capacity: 40
In Southern Africa, which is thought of as the origin of mankind, instils a longing in all of us. We long for the quiet beauty, yet fierce survival instincts of Africa and the wild. We long to see the magnificent animals in their glorious habitat, the way Africa is thought of in dreams. We long to feel the cool breeze on our skin as we witness the breath taking sunset over the pristine vista of Southern Africa.
The serene Thornybush Game Reserve is located within 14 000 hectares of untamed African bush and finds itself adjacent to the world renowned Kruger National Park. The landscape itself is populated by a variety of African fauna and flora, including the magnificent big five. Thornybush is authentically wild, whilst ensuring absolute serenity in luxurious surrounds. Because of this, Thornybush has been renowned as one of the most excellent bush experiences in the world.
The Thornybush Game Lodge is the biggest and most exclusive operation in the Thornybush group. This Lodge is unparalleled in beauty, elegance, comfort and style. The rich furnishings and exquisite touches make this lodge a remarkable getaway destination.
The gorgeous main entrance is the first indication of the lodge’s romantic setting. There are multiple dining areas, each unique and basking in splendour. Every meal will be a unforgettable experience. The pool and deck has a spectacular view of the seasonal Monwana River and a very active watering hole. The lodge has a conference area that seats up to 60 people, making it ideal for an intimate dream wedding, or gathering.
Exceptional attention to detail and outstanding service will ensure that guests will enjoy their stay at Thornybush Game Lodge so much, that they would never want to leave. Feel at home in unparalleled luxury.
- Health Spa
- Conference Centre
- Library with internet
- Multiple dining areas
- Curio shop
- Children's Program
The magnificent pool deck boasts a view of the seasonal Monwana River. Guests can laze in the pristine sparkling pool and enjoy the view of elephants doing the same in the watering hole. It is the perfect way to cool off and refresh after an exciting morning safari.
The Thornybush Spa is a stylish, modern sanctuary of comfort and relaxation. The spa offers exclusive treatments to promote health, well-being and youthfulness. Enjoy a couples massage whilst enjoying the African decor and the calming effect of nature.
The Boma is a truly remarkable attraction of the lodge. It is perfect for socialising with a single malt, or a cognac after a fantastic day of adventurous experiences. Enjoy a divine dinner and watch out over the beautiful African vistas under the twinkling night sky. There are very few experiences which rival this one.
Accommodation is offered in:
- 18 Luxury Suites
- 2 Family Suites
Thornybush Game Lodge has pulled out all the stops to create a soft, inviting experience of home away from home in our luxurious suites. From the finest linen and best furniture, to the most breathtaking views from the bathroom and the tranquillity of the outdoor shower, these suites are what dreams are made of. Observe the ever active watering hole from your private deck and, whilst there are a large number of these fantastic suite, be assured that the suites are private and secluded, surrounded by untainted nature.
The larger Family Suites have a large lounge with a sleeper couch, which can be converted into a double bed for up to two children. Just like the other suites, the furnishing is tasteful and no effort has been spared to create a paradise to stay in. The Family Suites also have a private plunge pool for those hot evenings when guests would just like to cool down before retreating to the luxurious haven that is their suite.
- Fully air-conditioned
- En-suite bathrooms and outdoor showers
- Spectacular private deck
- Tea and coffee making facilities
- Umbrella, torches and candles/matches and safe in suites
As dawn is starting to warm the African earth, you will receive a wake-up call. You will get into the open-top Land Rover and your accompanying rangers and trackers will take you on an adventure. The times of departure are planned to suit the optimal time for wildlife viewing and this is normally in the early morning. Wake up, have your morning coffee or tea and set off on a magnificent game drive as the African sunrise bleeds into the sky.
Everything that your rangers and trackers know about the landscape, the animals and the vegetation, will be shared with you. Thornybush Game Reserve is home to 147 mammals including the "Big Five", 114 reptiles, 507 birds, 49 fish, 34 amphibians and 336 trees, which you can experience on the drive. Binoculars and cameras are welcome. Guests get up close to the animals, but binoculars are fantastic to see the smallest, furthest little birds in the surrounding flora. The game reserve is a photographer’s dream. Catch the most amazing shots of your life as you witness the animals in their natural habitat.
After the game drive, guests have the day to themselves. Spend the day with your loved ones, in the pool, in the lounge, on a terrace gazing at the dam with food and drink. Hike the surrounding trails. In the evening, you will be taken on an afternoon game drive into the bush to view rarely-seen nocturnal animals by torchlight. As the sun begins to set over the sweeping savannahs, you will get out at a remote, scenic spot and watch the enigmatic sunset where cocktails and snacks would do perfectly, allowing you to savour a truly magnificent sight. You will then return to the camp to enjoy your evening before the sun rises again for another day of great adventure.
- Walks depart daily after breakfast. Guests are accompanied by an armed ranger and tracker. The walks are tailored to the visitor's interests.
- Thornybush is teeming with life, including 507 species of birds which guests can watch from the game drives, walks, or from the pool deck.
- At request and at no extra cost, guests can be taken to the Moholoholo Rehabilitation Centre, the Blyde River Canyon and the Swadini Dam and Museum. This is a remarkable experience, as guests will get hands on experience as to how animals are rehabilitated into the bush - back to their natural habitat.
- Morning Hot Air Balloon excursions are available for guests who would like to see the sweeping savannahs and the wildlife from the sky, at an additional cost.
- The Panorama Tour day excursion follows the most scenic route in the area. Places visited includes Bourke's Luck Potholes, Abel Erasmus Pass, Graskop, God's Window, Three Rondawels and other magnificent Panorama Route destinations. Time will be afforded to guests to stop at local vendors and curio shops. Excursions will depart at 9:00 and return at approximately 17:00.
- The Cheetah Breeding Project is a successful operation, which has expanded to include other endangered species. Guests can gain hand on experience as to how these amazing animals are bred back into safety.
- Flight of the Dragon is a remarkable experience where guests are taken up in a small aircraft and taken on an hour flight to view the ethereal escarpments of the Drakensberg Mountains. Sights include God's Window and the Blyde River Canyon. The trip includes a stop at Thornybush's private mountain pool for a relaxing swim and an enchanting picnic lunch. This is truly an amazing experience.
- The Children's Acitivities are innovative and entertaining, specially suited to children's needs and interests. Each child is assigned a ranger and an adventure pack. The ranger will take children on walks and game drives specially suited to children's interests and attention span. Various activities will be taken part in, such as poolside picnics, children's spa days, supervised baking and exciting treasure hunts. Special meal and venue requirements are taken into account if the parent so wishes.
Please contact us for our latest rates and availability.
Lodges offer varied rates which change from time to time. Rates depend on service levels, the type of lodge or hotel, number and age of guests, the time of year, location and any specials which may apply at time of enquiry.
- Children of all ages are welcome at the lodge in the Family Suites
- Children of 6 years and older are welcome on the game drives
Rate Inclusions & Exclusions
- All meals, teas, coffees and snacks
- Dawn and dusk safaris in open Land Rovers and bushveld walks
- Sundowner local drinks
- Conservation Fee & TOMSA Levy
- Curio Shop
- Day excursions
Weddings and Honeymoons
Can you imagine your dream wedding? Does it include the fresh African terrain, traditional African dancers serenading you whilst you romantically exchange your vows at sunset? We offer this and have many other visions for your perfect wedding. Attention to the finest detail, the breath taking surroundings, luxurious accommodation and the divine cuisine will ensure that your wedding day will be absolutely thrilling and unforgettable. Your experience will be unique and beautiful at the Thornybush Game Lodge along the Manyeleti River and the natural African environment.
After your enchanted wedding, you and your partner can get swept away to the stylish and decadent Luxury Suites for a romantic getaway honeymoon. Lounge in your romantic bedroom with your partner, share the wonderful experience of the game drives and hold hands while strolling along the trails, or take a fantastic hot air balloon ride with your partner. Make your honeymoon unforgettable.